Covers that he’s done, not the other way around. It’s pretty amazing what he’s done, and always with his twist.
1. The Letter
2. With A Little Help from My Friends
3. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
4. Cry Me a River
5. Delta Lady
Honorable mention: Unchain My Heart; Feelin’ Alright (I like other covers of this great one more.)
But there are a LOT more and someone has done some serious research: The Covers Project
And how great is he doing Come Together in Across the Universe!!??!!
Who knew this Searchers hit, written by Jackie deShannon, was beloved by so many!! All of these are quite wonderful.
1. Karla Bonoff
2. Pam Tillis
3. Status Quo
4. Bruce live!!
5. Paul Carrack
Honorable mention: Billy Kramer & the Dakotas, and the one and only Abba’s Agnetha Faltskog….a little syrupy.
So, why so popular? The great guitar lick, and that universal feeling in the pit of the stomach occasions, yes? Yes.
5 songs that no one EVER mentions when it comes to these folks, but when you hear them, they stick in your head for quite awhile.
1. Dr. Roberts, Beatles
2. Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You), Stevie Wonder
3. Everything You Did, Steely Dan
4. 2000 Light Years from Home, Rolling Stones
5. That Would Be Something, Paul McCartney
Where Were You When I Needed You, the second half of the # 2 song, is one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful love songs of all time.
1. Time of the Season – Zombies
2. Time – Pink Floyd
3. Time Won't Let Me - Outsiders
4. Time Out of Mind, Steely Dan
5. Time Has Come Today, Chambers Brothers
Honorable mention: Time of Your Life - Green Day;
Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper; Time Is On My Side - Rolling Stones; Time Warp - Rocky Horror Picture Show Cast; Time Passages - Al Stewart; No Time - Guess Who; Time Is Tight - Booker T and the MGs
It pained us not to get Booker T, Green Day, Cyndi or Guess Who in the top 5, but the ones we chose are just a wee bit better. Time Won’t Let Me is a real oldie, but geez, what a fast, wonderful pace.
Not here: Time In a Bottle - Jim Croce; yuk.
1. Summer in the City, Lovin’ Spoonful
2. Summertime Blues, Eddie Cochran/Blue Cheer
3. Summertime, Mungo Jerry
4. Summertime Thing, Chuck Prophet (this is one of the best songs of the last ten years!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
5. Summer Breeze, Seals & Crofts
1. Motel Life, Willy Vlautin
2. Edson, Bill Morrissey
3. Tales from Margaritaville, Jimmy Buffett
4. The Ass Saw The Angel, Nick Cave
5. In His Own Write, John Lennon
I LOVE Wlly’s down-and-out but redemptive in Reno novel. (Willy's band, Richmond Fontaine is catching on, here and in Europe.) Don't miss Bill Morrissey’s down and out in New England. Yes, Buffett can write; don’t miss the hurricane story. I confess I have not read # 4 or # 5, but those were the only other works of fiction by any musician I could find!
Now, who else do we think could write some great fiction? Chuck Prophet, Joni Mitchell, Alejandro Escovedo.
It's surprising that so many storytellers can't tackle a longer form.
1. Cynical Girl
2. T.M.D. (Truly Madly Deeply)
3. Somehow Someway
4. Rockin’ Around NYC
5. What Do Your Dream of
Honorable mention: Mary Anne, Whenever You're On My Mind.
I think Marshall's been way overlooked, and it's a cryin' shame that his album from '99 - #447 - is now o/p. It's really, really good!